NC Growing Together
North Carolina Growing Together (NCGT) is a five year USDA-funded project that aims to bring more locally-produced foods into mainstream markets, strengthening the economics of small to mid-sized farm and fishing operations and their communities.
NC Growing Together integrates Research, Academics, and Extension –bringing more North Carolina produce, meat, dairy, and seafood into retail and food service supply chains by:
- Researching and identifying best practices for cooperative production and aggregation of products from small and mid-sized producers to larger-scale distribution partners.
- Providing support and technical assistance to small and mid-sized producers to enable them to meet buyer requirements, including Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) certification of their farms.
- Providing training and capacity-building in local food system issues for Extension agents who work in the field.
- Convening “Meet the Buyer” speed-networking opportunities to connect producers who are interested in selling into larger markets with retail and other buyers who are interested in purchasing from local producers.
- Creating learning opportunities for students through local foods MBA supply chain fellowships and courses at NC State’s Poole College of Management Supply Chain Resource Cooperative.
- Sponsoring paid student apprenticeships at NCGT partner organizations, food hubs, food distributors, and retailers to support the next generation of business leaders committed to building local food systems.
Meat Quality Project
NC Growing Together is highly collaborative and includes dozens of partners from across the state, spanning private, public, government/military, and university sectors. All of the partners have a stake in developing North Carolina’s local food economy. Please visit the NC Growing Together website’s Partners page for more information.
NC Growing Together offers a large collection of resource documents and multimedia to support the farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors and consumers of North Carolina. See our full library of NC Growing Together resources here.
- What Do All These Label Claims Really Mean? (2017) JJ Richardson 2018-03-14T10:03:34+00:00
- Economic Development for Extension Agents at Annual Extension Conference Emily Edmonds 2016-12-07T08:33:03+00:00
- Presentation to the Triangle J Council of Government Board of Delegates Meeting Emily Edmonds 2016-12-05T11:30:28+00:00
- Keynote Presentation to SBC-SBTDC Annual Conference Emily Edmonds 2016-12-05T11:24:20+00:00
- Presentation to N.C. Association of Regional Councils of Government Emily Edmonds 2016-12-05T11:19:17+00:00
- NC Statewide Niche Meat Survey Results by County (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T11:56:20+00:00
- How to Sell Pastured Meat Products to Grocery Stores via Direct Store Delivery (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:02:27+00:00
- ELGL (Emerging Local Government Leaders) Food Economies Webinar Emily Edmonds 2016-11-26T09:34:07+00:00
- Presentation: Visioning for Healthy Eating (Dan River Health Summit) Emily Edmonds 2016-11-26T09:34:07+00:00
- Webinar: North Carolina Councils of Government and Local Food Economies Emily Edmonds 2016-11-26T09:34:08+00:00
- Authenticity and Success in Marketing “Local” — Review and Recommendations (2013) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:25+00:00
- Best practices and metrics for dairy farms transitioning from conventional dairy operations to on-farm value-added production (2015) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:18+00:00
- North Carolina Farmstead Creamery Survey Report (2015) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:26+00:00
- Keep It Moving: North Carolina Seafood Transportation Logistics with a Focus on East to West Routes (2014) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:25+00:00
- Understanding Packaging and Specifications for Wholesale Markets Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:26+00:00
- Estimated Rows and Acres of Production Per Case and Pallet at Wholesale, Select Crops Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:26+00:00
- Tips for Produce Growers Marketing Fresh Produce to Retail Grocers: Understanding PLU and UPC Codes (Extension Publication LF-002) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:18+00:00
- How to Sell Shell Eggs into Grocery Stores through Direct Store Delivery (Extension Publication LF-006) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:26+00:00
- Selling Fluid Milk to Grocery Stores through Direct Store Delivery (Extension Publication LF-009) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:26+00:00
- Process Walkthrough at a Regional Produce Distribution Center (2014) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:27+00:00
- Process Walkthrough: Direct-Store Delivery (DSD) to Retail Grocery Destinations for Niche Meat Producers (2014) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:27+00:00
- Process Walkthrough at a Regional Meat Distribution Center (2014) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:18+00:00
- Fresh Produce Good Agricultural Practices Workshop Manual (2015) Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:27+00:00
- Wholesale and Retail Product Specifications: Guidance and Best Practices for Fresh Produce for Small Farms and Food Hubs Shane McCoy 2016-11-26T09:34:18+00:00
NC Growing Together News
Join us August 23, 2018 in Winston-Salem at the Forsyth County Agricultural Building as leading experts break down Marketing Local Meat into simple how-to's.
This is a public list of poultry exempt operators who have received short term approval from the Director of NCDA&CS Meat and Poultry Inspection Division to slaughter or process other person’s poultry (provided all other provisions [...]