NC Choices, an initiative of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems in collaboration with NC Cooperative Extension, promotes sustainable food systems through the advancement of the local, niche, and pasture-based meat supply chain in North Carolina. NC Choices provides information, technical assistance, educational programming, and networking opportunities for farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors, and consumers.
Poultry Processing Updates:
Due to the 2017 closure of Foothills Pilot Plant, information and updates on the status of poultry processing options across the state can be found below. Click to view the following:
- Updates on the Status of Poultry Processing in the State
- List of Farmer Operators Granted Exemption to Process Birds for Other Farms (1st tab)
- List of Poultry Mobile Processing Equipment for Rent (2nd tab)
- Closest USDA Poultry Processors for Small Farmers that are Currently Accepting New Customers
- Labeling Requirements and Additional Resources for On-Farm Poultry Processing
NC Choices News
11/7/2018 Earlier this year, USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) published a guideline entitled, “FSIS Guideline for Determining Whether a Livestock Slaughter or Processing Firm is Exempt from the Inspection Requirements of [...]
CEFS’ NC Choices initiative is seeking a full-time Technical Niche Meat Program Coordinator who excels at building relationships with multiple stakeholders, is comfortable managing and moving a process from concept to implementation, makes key business and market-buyer connections, and can translate technical content into on-the-ground assistance for livestock farmers and allied meat business partners.
Learn both meat cutting and cooking skills using chicken, pork, turkey, and beef all purchased from local farmers!
NC Choices offers a large collection of resource documents and multimedia to support the farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors and consumers of North Carolina. See our full library of NC Choices resources here.
- NC Choices – Meat Labels: What Does “Natural” Mean? (2018) Marcello Cappellazzi 2018-11-14T15:59:07+00:00
- Step by Step Instructions for Filling Out Federal and State Special Claims Applications (2018) Marcello Cappellazzi 2018-10-25T11:45:06+00:00
- Strategies to Increase Sales of Local Meat at Farmstands and Small Retailers (2018) Marcello Cappellazzi 2018-09-27T11:55:09+00:00
- Step by Step Instructions for Filling Out Federal and State Special Claims Applications (2018) Sarah Blacklin 2018-09-19T10:31:12+00:00
- Selecting Enterprises for Pasture-based Livestock Farms (2018) Sarah Blacklin 2018-09-19T10:31:51+00:00
- What Do All These Label Claims Really Mean? (2017) JJ Richardson 2018-03-14T10:03:34+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Balancing Nutritional Need for Pastured Pigs JJ Richardson 2018-09-23T10:52:29+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Choosing Alternative Feeds for Your Herd JJ Richardson 2018-09-23T10:52:30+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Deciding if Alternative Feeds are Economical JJ Richardson 2018-09-23T10:52:30+00:00
- NC Statewide Niche Meat Survey Results by County (2016) JJ Richardson 2018-09-24T20:40:33+00:00
- NC Processors That Slaughter, Process, & Vacuum Package For Farmers (2016) JJ Richardson 2018-10-15T16:57:40+00:00
- NC State Local Grass-Fed Beef Production Guidelines (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:00:36+00:00
- How to Sell Pastured Meat Products to Grocery Stores via Direct Store Delivery (2016) JJ Richardson 2018-09-24T23:46:39+00:00
- FAQs about Processing and Marketing Beef, Pork, Lamb and Goat Meats In North Carolina and South Carolina (2006) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:03:32+00:00
- NC State Local Pasture-Raised and Pasture-Finished Beef Production Guidelines (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:06:21+00:00
- NC State Local Finished Beef Production Guidelines (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:05:20+00:00
- NC Choices Technical Assistance Training Manual (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:08:34+00:00