NC Choices, an initiative of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems in collaboration with NC Cooperative Extension, promotes sustainable food systems through the advancement of the local, niche, and pasture-based meat supply chain in North Carolina. NC Choices provides information, technical assistance, educational programming, and networking opportunities for farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors, and consumers.
Poultry Processing Updates:
Due to the 2017 closure of Foothills Pilot Plant, information and updates on the status of poultry processing options across the state can be found below. Click to view the following:
- Updates on the Status of Poultry Processing in the State
- List of Farmer Operators Granted Exemption to Process Birds for Other Farms (1st tab)
- List of Poultry Mobile Processing Equipment for Rent (2nd tab)
- Closest USDA Poultry Processors for Small Farmers that are Currently Accepting New Customers
- Labeling Requirements and Additional Resources for On-Farm Poultry Processing
NC Choices News
Learn both meat cutting and cooking skills using chicken, pork, turkey, and beef all purchased from local farmers!
Registration is now closed for Marketing Local Meat. There are a few spots available the day of the event. $50 at the Door!
Foothills Processing in Marion, NC (Formerly Foothills Pilot Plant) is seeking a Plant Manager in order to resume operation of the only USDA Inspected Poultry Plant for independent producers in NC.
NC Choices offers a large collection of resource documents and multimedia to support the farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors and consumers of North Carolina. See our full library of NC Choices resources here.
- What Do All These Label Claims Really Mean? (2017) JJ Richardson 2018-03-14T10:03:34+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Balancing Nutritional Need for Pastured Pigs Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:32:43+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Choosing Alternative Feeds for Your Herd Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:32:11+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Deciding if Alternative Feeds are Economical Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:31:25+00:00
- NC Statewide Niche Meat Survey Results by County (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T11:56:20+00:00
- NC Processors That Slaughter, Process, & Vacuum Package For Farmers JJ Richardson 2018-03-14T09:59:14+00:00
- NC State Local Grass-Fed Beef Production Guidelines (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:00:36+00:00
- How to Sell Pastured Meat Products to Grocery Stores via Direct Store Delivery (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:02:27+00:00
- FAQs about Processing and Marketing Beef, Pork, Lamb and Goat Meats In North Carolina and South Carolina (2006) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:03:32+00:00
- NC State Local Pasture-Raised and Pasture-Finished Beef Production Guidelines (2016) Clara Tang 2017-01-12T12:06:21+00:00
- NC State Local Finished Beef Production Guidelines (2016) Clara Tang 2017-01-12T12:05:20+00:00
- NC Choices Technical Assistance Training Manual (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:08:34+00:00
- Special Claims and the Approval Process for Niche Meat Production (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:08:10+00:00
- Growth in the Niche Meat Sector in North Carolina (2011) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:10:08+00:00
- USDA Food Safety Inspection Service Nutrition Labeling Compliance Guidelines for NC Meat Handlers and Meat Processors Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:11:16+00:00