NC Choices, an initiative of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems and NC Cooperative Extension, promotes sustainable food systems through the advancement of the local, niche, and pasture-based meat supply chain in North Carolina. NC Choices provides information, technical assistance, educational programming, and networking opportunities for farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors, and consumers.
NC Choices News
*UPDATE 11/1/2017* Poultry Exempt Operators Granted Short Term Exemption to Process for Other Poultry Producers, MPUs to Rent, & Labeling Requirements
NC Choices offers a large collection of resource documents and multimedia to support the farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors and consumers of North Carolina. See our full library of NC Choices resources here.
- Pig Nutrition: Balancing Nutritional Need for Pastured Pigs Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:32:43+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Deciding if Alternative Feeds are Economical Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:31:25+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Choosing Alternative Feeds for Your Herd Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:32:11+00:00
- NC Statewide Niche Meat Survey Results by County (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T11:56:20+00:00
- NC Processors That Slaughter, Process, & Vacuum Package For Farmers JJ Richardson 2017-01-27T17:53:55+00:00
- NC State Local Grass-Fed Beef Production Guidelines (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:00:36+00:00
- How to Sell Pastured Meat Products to Grocery Stores via Direct Store Delivery (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:02:27+00:00
- FAQs about Processing and Marketing Beef, Pork, Lamb and Goat Meats In North Carolina and South Carolina (2006) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:03:32+00:00
- NC State Local Finished Beef Production Guidelines (2016) Clara Tang 2017-01-12T12:05:20+00:00
- NC State Local Pasture-Raised and Pasture-Finished Beef Production Guidelines (2016) Clara Tang 2017-01-12T12:06:21+00:00
- Special Claims and the Approval Process for Niche Meat Production (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:08:10+00:00
- NC Choices Technical Assistance Training Manual (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:08:34+00:00
- Growth in the Niche Meat Sector in North Carolina (2011) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:10:08+00:00
- USDA Food Safety Inspection Service Nutrition Labeling Compliance Guidelines for NC Meat Handlers and Meat Processors Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:11:16+00:00
- Retailer Talking Points: How to Answer Consumer Questions on Local Meats (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:11:38+00:00
NC Choices has two moderated listservs. Both listservs are pertinent to commercial producers/farmers, meat processors, food-service professionals, distributors, and buyers directly involved in the local, pastured meat supply chain in and around North Carolina.
NC Choices News listserv serves as a forum for educational and marketing opportunities as they pertain to local and niche meats. Use this list to share:
- Events, scholarly and news articles, educational opportunities, and ideas
- Technical Questions
- Seeking specific consulting services
- Job postings and employment opportunities of NATIONAL interest
- Advertise processing services
To Sign Up for NC Choices’ News: email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Sign Up for News” in the subject line.
NC Choices Classifieds listserv serves as a forum for meat and livestock commerce for both individuals and commercial interests. It is an “industry only” list and is not intended for use by consumers looking to purchase finished, consumable meat products. Use this list to:
- Buy, sell, trade, lease equipment, and livestock
- Share other commerce and business exchange as it pertains to the niche meat sector
- Announce job postings and employment opportunities of LOCAL interest
- Advertise processing services
To Sign Up for NC Choices Classifieds: email email@example.com and put “Sign Up for Classifieds” in the subject line.
- Amazing Grazing
- NC Cooperative Extension
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Meat and Poultry Inspection Division
- Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network (NMPAN) – a network and info hub for people and organizations who want small meat processors to thrive. NMPAN offer tools and information for small processors and the farmers, marketers, and meat buyers who depend on them.
- Alan Wade, State Director, NCDA & CS, Meat and Poultry Inspection Division
- Amanda Carter, Operational Manager at Foothills Pilot Plant
- Beth Yongue, Assistant State Director, NCDA & CS Meat and Poultry Inspection Division
- Casey McKissick, Foothills Farm and Butchery and consultant
- Chad Ray, Ray Family Farms
- Debbie Hamrick, Director of Specialty Crops, Farm Bureau
- Emily Lancaster Moose, Director of Communications and Outreach, Animal Welfare Approved
- Jennifer Curtis, Firsthand Foods
- Joanna Lelekas, Program Manager, Extension Local Foods Flagship Program
- Johnny Rogers, Amazing Grazing Program Coordinator, Rogers Cattle Company LLC.
- Lee Menius, Wild Turkey Farms
- Matt Poore, Extension Livestock Commodity Coordinator, Professor & Extension Ruminant Nutrition Specialist, Animal Science NCSU
- Nancy Creamer, Director of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems
- Noah Ranells, Marketing Extension Specialist at NC A&T University
- Rebecca Dunning, Research Assistant Professor, CEFS, NCSU
- Sam Suchoff, The Pig
- Ex-officio, Lauren Gwin, Assistant Professor, Extension Associate Director, Center for Small Farms and Community Food Systems, Co-coordinator, Niche Meat Processing Assistance Network