NC Choices, an initiative of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems, promotes sustainable food systems through the advancement of the local, niche, and pasture-based meat supply chain in North Carolina. NC Choices provides information, technical assistance, educational programming, and networking opportunities for farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors, and consumers.View the NC Choices Advisory Committee.
- Amazing Grazing
- NC Cooperative Extension
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Meat and Poultry Inspection Division
- Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network (NMPAN) – a network and info hub for people and organizations who want small meat processors to thrive. NMPAN offer tools and information for small processors and the farmers, marketers, and meat buyers who depend on them.
NC Choices offers a large collection of resource documents and multimedia to support the farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors and consumers of North Carolina. See our full library of NC Choices resources here.
- Special Claims and the Approval Process for Niche Meat Production Shane McCoy
- Growth in the Niche Meat Sector in North Carolina (2011) Shane McCoy
- USDA Food Safety Inspection Service Nutrition Labeling Compliance Guidelines for NC Meat Handlers and Meat Processors Shane McCoy
- Retailer Talking Points: How to Answer Consumer Questions on Local Meats Shane McCoy
- Best Management Practices for Ensuring Food Safety for On-Farm Poultry Processing Shane McCoy
- Meat Processor: Does your processor offer value added options for sausage products? Shane McCoy
- NC Choices FAQs: Agricultural Marketing Service’s Withdrawal of the Grass Fed Claim (2016) Waystone Design
- Meat Processor: Meat Yield – How Much Meat am I Getting Back? Waystone Design
- How to Choose a Meat Processor That’s Right for You Waystone Design
NC Choices News
Ask your average American, “what does a farmer look like?”, and you are likely to get an outdated answer. In fact, if you Google the question, images of men dominate the search results. But the [...]
CEFS’ NC Choices Director Sarah Blacklin Recognized by Farm Credit in National Search for 100 Fresh Perspectives Shaping Rural America and Agriculture
March 15, 2016: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE RALEIGH, North Carolina -- Sarah Blacklin, Program Director of NC Choices, is among the visionaries being recognized nationally through Farm Credit 100 Fresh Perspectives, a search to identify and [...]
Carolina Meat Conference Brings Entire Meat Supply Chain Together, Highlights Emerging Opportunities in New Markets
September 15, 2015: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Where else can you find James Beard Award-winning chef Andrea Reusing and Emmy Award-winning chef Vivian Howard rubbing shoulders with internationally-renowned pasture management advocate Allan Savory, alongside master butchers, [...]