NC Choices, an initiative of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems in collaboration with NC Cooperative Extension, promotes sustainable food systems through the advancement of the local, niche, and pasture-based meat supply chain in North Carolina. NC Choices provides information, technical assistance, educational programming, and networking opportunities for farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors, and consumers.
NC Choices News
USDA Moves to Withdraw the Organic Livestock and Poultry Practices Rule: USDA Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) has announced the decision to withdraw the Organic Livestock and Poultry Practices (OLPP) final rule, otherwise known as "the animal [...]
We have partnered with food marketing coach Jill Willett to offer this special webinar to the NC Choices community. When it comes to successfully marketing your meat business, there are six key areas that need some seeeeerious attention.
***12/22/2017 UPDATE*** Announcement: Special Poultry Processing Exemption Extended Another Year
NC Choices offers a large collection of resource documents and multimedia to support the farmers, extension agents, meat processors, buyers, distributors and consumers of North Carolina. See our full library of NC Choices resources here.
- What Do All These Label Claims Really Mean? (2017) JJ Richardson 2018-03-14T10:03:34+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Balancing Nutritional Need for Pastured Pigs Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:32:43+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Choosing Alternative Feeds for Your Herd Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:32:11+00:00
- Pig Nutrition: Deciding if Alternative Feeds are Economical Waystone Design 2017-10-09T23:31:25+00:00
- NC Statewide Niche Meat Survey Results by County (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T11:56:20+00:00
- NC Processors That Slaughter, Process, & Vacuum Package For Farmers JJ Richardson 2018-03-14T09:59:14+00:00
- NC State Local Grass-Fed Beef Production Guidelines (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:00:36+00:00
- How to Sell Pastured Meat Products to Grocery Stores via Direct Store Delivery (2016) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:02:27+00:00
- FAQs about Processing and Marketing Beef, Pork, Lamb and Goat Meats In North Carolina and South Carolina (2006) JJ Richardson 2017-01-12T12:03:32+00:00
- NC State Local Pasture-Raised and Pasture-Finished Beef Production Guidelines (2016) Clara Tang 2017-01-12T12:06:21+00:00
- NC State Local Finished Beef Production Guidelines (2016) Clara Tang 2017-01-12T12:05:20+00:00
- NC Choices Technical Assistance Training Manual (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:08:34+00:00
- Special Claims and the Approval Process for Niche Meat Production (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:08:10+00:00
- Growth in the Niche Meat Sector in North Carolina (2011) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:10:08+00:00
- USDA Food Safety Inspection Service Nutrition Labeling Compliance Guidelines for NC Meat Handlers and Meat Processors Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:11:16+00:00
- Retailer Talking Points: How to Answer Consumer Questions on Local Meats (2014) Shane McCoy 2017-01-12T12:11:38+00:00
NC Choices has two moderated listservs. Both listservs are pertinent to commercial producers/farmers, meat processors, food-service professionals, distributors, and buyers directly involved in the local, pastured meat supply chain in and around North Carolina.
NC Choices News listserv serves as a forum for educational and marketing opportunities as they pertain to local and niche meats. Use this list to share:
- Events, scholarly and news articles, educational opportunities, and ideas
- Technical Questions
- Seeking specific consulting services
- Job postings and employment opportunities of NATIONAL interest
- Advertise processing services
To Sign Up for NC Choices’ News: email email@example.com and put “Sign Up for News” in the subject line.
NC Choices Classifieds listserv serves as a forum for meat and livestock commerce for both individuals and commercial interests. It is an “industry only” list and is not intended for use by consumers looking to purchase finished, consumable meat products. Use this list to:
- Buy, sell, trade, lease equipment, and livestock
- Share other commerce and business exchange as it pertains to the niche meat sector
- Announce job postings and employment opportunities of LOCAL interest
- Advertise processing services
To Sign Up for NC Choices Classifieds: email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Sign Up for Classifieds” in the subject line.
- Amazing Grazing
- NC Cooperative Extension
- North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Meat and Poultry Inspection Division
- Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network (NMPAN) – a network and info hub for people and organizations who want small meat processors to thrive. NMPAN offer tools and information for small processors and the farmers, marketers, and meat buyers who depend on them.
- Dr. Beth Yongue, State Director, NCDA & CS Meat and Poultry Inspection Division
- Amanda Carter, Cool Hand Meats
- Casey McKissick, Foothills Farm and Butchery and consultant
- Debbie Hamrick, Director of Specialty Crops, NC Farm Bureau
- Emily Lancaster Moose, Director of Communications and Outreach, A Greener World
- Jennifer Curtis, Firsthand Foods
- Silvana Pietrosemoli, Research Associate, Animal Science Department, NC State
- Johnny Rogers, Amazing Grazing Program Coordinator, Rogers Cattle Company LLC
- Lee Menius, Wild Turkey Farms
- Matt Poore, Extension Livestock Commodity Coordinator, Professor & Extension Ruminant Nutrition Specialist, Animal Science NC State
- Nancy Creamer, Director of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems
- Noah Ranells, Fickle Creek Farm
- Rebecca Dunning, Research Assistant Professor, Center for Environmental Farming Systems, NC State
- Sam Suchoff, The Pig and Lady Edison Meats
- Asher Wright, Warren Wilson College
- Ex-officio, Lauren Gwin and/or Rebecca Thistlewaite, Niche Meat Processing Assistance Network