Local Food Economies
Local Food Economies (LFE) is an initiative of CEFS’ NC Growing Together (NCGT) project. NCGT is a five-year, USDA-funded project that aims to bring more locally-produced foods into mainstream markets, strengthening the economics of small to mid-sized farm and fishing operations and their communities. In addition to research, academic, and extension components, NCGT also aims to create an enabling environment for farms and food businesses.
In order to build a supportive business climate in which small and mid-size farmers, producers, and processors can thrive, The Local Food Economies initiative provides resources, tools, and information to non-agricultural agencies across the state that are working to build economically viable local food systems. LFE supports the work of local government and economic development agencies as they seek to expand the capacity and potential of businesses within the local food value chain.
- The U.S. Economic Development Administration
- The North Carolina Association of Regional Councils of Governments
- The North Carolina Chapter of the American Planning Association
- The School of Government at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- The North Carolina Rural Center
- Carolina Small Business Development Fund
- Self-Help Credit Union