Case Studies of Food & Farm Economic Development in North Carolina
These case studies demonstrate the growth of the local food economy across North Carolina and provide innovative, successful examples of how local governments and small business developers have incorporated local food economies into their economic and community development strategies.
Each case study provides contact information for the county, town, or business, along with the project’s history, lessons learned, and results. Some studies focus on planning and land use regulation examples, while others provide innovative ways to encourage food entrepreneurship, expand into wholesale markets, or provide community development opportunities.
- Sandhills Region: Revitalizing Rural Economies through Farm to Table A vibrant CSA leads to agricultural development throughout a region
- Boone, NC: High Country Food Hub Town, County partner on shared cold storage in existing Cooperative Extension Building
- Beaufort, NC: Healthy Kids, Healthy Farms County schools drive farm development through farm-to-school programs
- Durham, NC – Creating Space to Revitalize Community & Health (PDF) Using local food as a community & economic development strategy in Durham
- Region Turns to Ag to Overcome Economic Loss of Tobacco & Textiles (PDF) Small business center & extension partner on Ag Entrepreneurship
- Warren County, NC – Activating the Wealth of the Land (PDF) Building the infrastructure to support a resilient rural economy
- Appalachian Farm School Brings Together New Partners to Meet Ag Needs (PDF) Small business & extension find common ground in supporting local Ag
- Matthews, NC: A Community Supporting Ag through Policy & Regulation (PDF) A community gathering around food in local government policy
- Small Mountain County is a Model for Collaboration and Leadership (PDF) Polk County’s local government, Cooperative Extension, and nonprofits work together for success
- Hillsborough, NC – Growing Local Food Businesses (PDF) Strengthening food entrepreneurship in North Carolina’s Piedmont
- Henderson County, NC: Agricultural Economic Development is Big Business Recruiting and supporting ag-based businesses as part of a comprehensive economic development strategy