For more information about this position, or to apply online, visit the North Carolina State University employment website: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/105880
Essential Job Duties:
This Research Scholar position will be a core member of the CEFS team and must be able to work and collaborate with a diverse group (including faculty, administrators, graduate and undergraduate students, technicians, field staff, farmers, supply chain businesses, and other organizations) on work that spans the entire food system. The position will have research, extension, and academic/teaching responsibilities within CEFS. These areas of responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Research: The position will lead research efforts in their specific area of expertise. The position will be expected to propose, develop, lead, and manage research projects within CEFS. The research responsibilities will include independent experimental design, data collection, statistical analyses, writing results for scientific journals, and other activities related to agricultural or food systems experimentation.
Extension: The position’s extension activities will involve developing, organizing, and implementing new short-courses and training curriculum for extension agents and producers. The position will also manage field days activities, workshops, and other extension and outreach activities. The incumbent will also lead the preparation of extension materials in support of food systems, from farm to fork. The incumbent will be expected to write grants as new projects are developed within CEFS.
Academic: The incumbent will provide administrative support, oversight, and provide teaching responsibilities for the CEFS residential summer internship program in sustainable agriculture, as well as the CEFS Apprenticeship program, and other training programs hosted or developed by CEFS. In addition, the individual may guest lecturer a course in the new sustainable food systems major. The incumbent will also oversee the CEFS Graduate Fellow Program at NC State University. The incumbent is also expected to develop a grant-supported program to develop curriculum for applicable short-courses for a variety of constituents at CEFS, including international groups.
- Ph.D. in agriculture or food systems related field.
- Experience working with organic, sustainable agriculture or food systems.
- Familiarity with and ability to stay in front of the trends in sustainable agriculture of food systems as published in academic journals.
- Experience with planning and implementing international research projects or training’s, as well as leading interdisciplinary research.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with a broad array of audiences including researchers, extension personnel, technicians, farmers, the press, board members, international researchers and students, and the general public.
- Proficient with writing and publishing research, grant writing, and producing extension bulletins.
- Demonstrated ability in curriculum development, research design, and developing extension programs.
- Ability to successfully be a member of a team and able to work independently with little oversight.
Preferred Years Experience, Skills Training and Education:
- 3- 5+ years experience working with organic, sustainable agriculture or food systems.
- Knowledge of food and farming systems, issues, and key players in North Carolina and beyond.
- Candidates with proficiency in English as well as another language are preferred.
- Have a quick intake of, and/or prior knowledge of, the initiatives and activities of CEFS.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) is a partnership of NC State University, NC A&T State University and the NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The Center for Environmental Farming Systems develops and promotes just and equitable food and farming systems that conserve natural resources, strengthen communities, improve health outcomes, and provide economic opportunities in North Carolina and beyond.
Apply at https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/105880. You will be prompted to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references.
AA/EOE: NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.