For more information about this position, or to apply online, visit the North Carolina State University employment website: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/122119
Essential Job Duties:
CEFS has an opening for an Interim Communications Manager. This person will assume the duties of the Communications Manager while a search is being conducted for a permanent replacement. The Interim Communications Manager could also apply for the permanent Communications Manager position if desired.
This position requires excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills and a knack for developing engaging content for various audiences. Strong website management skills (WordPress) and social media skills also required. Must be proficient with MS Office and able to work efficiently in a Google environment (Google docs, Google calendar).
This person must be able to take direction, learn quickly, and hit the ground running, with the ability to work independently and also collaborate with a variety of faculty, staff, and stakeholders. The person in this position will work collaboratively with CEFS’ Communications Specialist, who is the lead on graphic design and video projects.
Competitive candidates will have a background in sustainable agriculture and/or local food systems, preferably in North Carolina, and a minimum of three years of communications or marketing experience.
Writing, Editing, and Content Development
- Develop content as required for CEFS’ various communications needs including website, press releases, email marketing, social media, etc.
- Assist CEFS staff and affiliates as requested with writing, editing, and proofreading projects
Website Content Management
- Continuously monitor and update CEFS’ 500+ page website, ensuring that content is accurate and up-to-date
- Ensure that the homepage is visually engaging and reflects strategic messaging priorities.
- Post new content as required including events, media mentions, publications, resources, etc
- Work with CEFS staff and affiliates on content updates as required
Marketing and Promotion
- Advertise CEFS workshops and events, including posting events to CEFS’ website, generating event announcements, and sending/posting to listservs, social media, and other outlets as required=
- Produce email marketing newsletters using Constant Contact
- As possible, develop and manage all contacts lists. This includes identifying gaps and areas for improvement in current systems, developing recommendations for improvement, and implementing new systems as required
Social Media Management
- Manage CEFS’ Social Media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn platforms
- Working with CEFS’ Communications Specialist, generate content for CEFS’ social media platforms that reinforces messaging sent out through other channels
Press and Media Outreach
- Create and send press releases as required
- As possible, update press and media contact lists
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday with the possibility of some weekend events
Job Location: Raleigh , NC
Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Departmental Required Skills:
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, computer, and time/project management skills
- Strong writing and editing skills are critical for this position. Writing samples will be required
- Proven success managing large/complex websites in a WordPress CMS. Examples of websites created and/or managed will be required
- Demonstrated success managing social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn). Examples will be required
- Experience with email marketing (MailChimp, Constant Contact, or similar)
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities and projects and meet deadlines
- Must be capable of doing all the described activities independently while also working closely with a diverse group of CEFS staff, faculty, students, and other stakeholders
- Must be knowledgeable about agriculture and local food systems, preferably in North Carolina, and passionate about CEFS’ work
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of management-level experience in marketing or communications (or equivalent combination of training and experience), preferably related to food systems, agriculture, or food policy work
- Graphic design skills are a plus
- Database management skills are a plus
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) is a partnership of NC State University, NC A&T State University and the NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. CEFS develops and promotes just and equitable food and farming systems that conserve natural resources, strengthen communities, improve health outcomes, and provide economic opportunities in North Carolina and beyond.
Apply at https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/122119. You will be prompted to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references.
AA/EOE: NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.