2018 Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Apprenticeship Program
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Apprenticeship Program is seeking highly-motivated individuals from a variety of different backgrounds to participate in a hands-on work and study program that trains participants in many aspects of sustainable agriculture production and research.
The majority of each apprentices’ work will focus on a particular production system at CEFS, although locations will vary. A wide array of topics to study are available, including: Small Farm Production, Cover Crops and Organic Grains and Long-term Comparative Farming Systems. Apprenticeship appointments are for a period of time of six to eight months and are located in Raleigh or Goldsboro, NC. During that time, Apprentices will have the opportunity to:
- Immerse oneself in agricultural production and field research, spending up to forty hours a week as an integral part of a team,
- Work with a highly diverse team of educators from North Carolina State University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
- Interact with other Apprentices at various research units and sites; and
- Participate in field trips to local farms.
- High school diploma
- Applicants should be able to lift up to 45 lbs.
- Work in inclement weather
- Attention to detail
Applicants are required to apply through the North Carolina State University Jobs Website. Required steps include completing an online application and submitting a cover letter (stating your interest in the Apprenticeship Program and why you would be an excellent candidate), resume, letter of recommendation, and a ranking of your interest in the different research and education programs offered.
View Current Apprenticeship Descriptions and Details HERE:
- Small-Scale Organic Vegetable Production And Research Apprenticeship
- Cover Crop Research and Extension Experience
- Sustainable Farming Systems Management and Research (Description & Application coming soon!)
This is a rigorous and highly competitive program. Apprenticeship applications will be reviewed by a multi-agency/ multidisciplinary group of educators and several applicants will be selected for telephone interviews. Each year only four to five apprentices will be accepted.
CEFS Apprenticeship Program Offers:
Apprentices receive $7.25/ hour. (All applicable payroll taxes apply). Housing is not provided. There is no meal plan or food stipend. Apprentices must have their own transportation.
Apprenticeship appointments are for 3-6 months and are located in Goldsboro and/or Raleigh, NC.