Incubator Farm Project: Land-Use Policies
Examples of Land-Use Policies Supportive of Urban Agriculture and Agricultural Use of Public Lands
There are a number of municipal and county governments that have been working over the last few years to create land-use policies that are more supportive of urban agriculture and agricultural use of public lands in general. The following annotated list is a selection of examples from around the country, and should not be considered exhaustive.
American Planning Association
- Policy Guide on Community and Regional Food Planning
- Urban Agriculture: Growing Healthy, Sustainable Places. PAS #563. Kimberley Hodgson, Marcia Caton Campbell, and Martin Bailkey. 2011. 148pp.
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- Urban Agriculture Rezoning
- Draft Zoning Code Amendment for Establishment of Urban Agriculture Overlay Districts
- Pilot Urban Agriculture Project and RFP – Open space urban agriculture land lease program
Boulder County, Colorado
- Colorado Building Farmers
- Agricultural Lands on Open Space
- Leasing Boulder County Parks and Open Space Ag Land
Site includes links to: Growers’ Association Model for Boulder County Parks and Open Space Agriculture Leases– described as a mechanism for several small farm operations to lease one parcel together; Lease Overview and Online Signup for Notice of Request for Bids; Leasing Process Specifics; Insurance Requirements; Bid Submittal Form and Bid Evaluation Criteria; and a generic Lease document.
Chicago, Illinois – Urban Agriculture Zoning Code amendments resources and articles
- City of Chicago Zoning Code Text – search for farm
- Mayor Emanuel Introduces An Ordinance Supporting Urban Farms, July 28, 2011.
- Chicago’s Urban Agriculture Zoning Proposal – Urban Food Policy blog.
- Chicago Urban Farming: City Approves New Ordinance – Huffington Post – September 9, 2011.
Chicago Food Policy
- Land Use Policy for Urban Agriculture Resources
- Build Skills & Systems for Urban Agriculture & Local Food Enterprise: Policy Makers & Funders Can Help
- Zoning Code Updates – see Urban Agriculture Overlay District (Ch.336A pending before City Council)
- Urban Garden District Zoning Code (adopted 2007 — search code for Urban Garden District to find specific language)
- Ideas for vacant land re-use in Cleveland
- Farmland ConneCTions: A Guide for Connecticut Towns, Institutions and Land Trusts Using or Leasing Farmland
Farmland Information Center
Kansas City, Missouri
Northeast Ohio, Countryside Conservancy
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park Model Lease for Countryside Initiative Program (opens as .pdf)
- Summary of Department of City Development Urban Agriculture Support in Milwaukee
National Policy & Legal Analysis Network to Prevent Childhood Obesity
- Land Use Policies to Promote Urban Agriculture
New England Small Farm Institute
- Oakland Urban Livestock Report
- Redevelopment Authority of the City of Philadelphia: Land Use and Policy Study – The entire report addresses urban agriculture in the City of Philadelphia.
- Urban Food Zoning Code Update – Code is in review. Survey was taken of Portlanders through August 29, 2011.
- Greening Zoning Codes to Match City’s Sustainable Mindset (Floor Area Ratio bonuses for Eco-roofs)
Raleigh, North Carolina
- Summary report of Urban Agriculture and Community Gardens in the City of Raleigh
- Draft Unified Development Ordinance. Agriculture relevant items on pages 6-6, 6-32, 6-33, and 7-6.
San Francisco, California
- Overview of San Francisco’s Urban Agriculture Zoning Ordinance – Planning Code changes went into effect May 2011. (opens as .pdf)
- San Francisco Urban Agriculture Zoning Proposal and link to final ordinance with all amendments (opens as .pdf) via the San Francisco Urban Agriculture Alliance.