How to Make Money on the Farm
February 1, 2020 @ 11:00 am - 2:00 pm| Free
EmPOWERing Mountain Food Systems is a three year project working in the region to support the growth of food and farming businesses. This workshop will introduce participants to sources of income from the grant and for farm operations.
● Introduction to the Empowering Mountain Food System Program and the Small
Business Centers. EMFS is a new project in the region providing financial,
technical and business support to food and farming businesses. Learn how you
can access these resources to increase farm income.
● How to submit a successful loan application- Enterprise budgets are the building
block to a successful loan application. Participants will learn about enterprise
budgets and participate in a hands on activity where they will create an
enterprise budget relevant to their farm operation. Other strategies for winning
loan applications will also be shared.
● Season Extension- There is a great opportunity to use high tunnels to increase
farm income early and late in the season. This session will provide an overview
of techniques and methods for extending the season.
● Marketing with instagram and social media. A hands on session where
participants will learn strategies to create a dynamic and engaging instagram
● WNC vegetable markets- Craig Mauney Mills River NC Cooperative Extension
vegetable specialist will share profitable vegetable production opportunities for
the Western North Carolina region.
● NC Farmlink- Farmlink is a state-wide program that matches retiring farmers with
new farmers seeking to begin or expand their operations. William Hamilton NC
Farmlink will share lease options and case studies from the region.
Speaker(s): Empowering Mountain Food System